Thursday, May 04, 2006

Nothing yet

Last Friday I went for an MRI of my head- not fun. And to make things worse, when the nurse took me into the room with this giant machine, all she did was tell me where to lie down and started strapping my head in. No explanation of what is going to happen, how much noise to expect, what to do, what not to do. No comforting words, telling me to relax and try to focus on the music instead of the loud banging noise from the magnets in the machine. Nothing. She just strapped me in and that was that. So, suffice it to say, I was a little bit nervous and on edge.

The test last 45 minutes. They told me that they'd fax a report to my doctor within 48 hours, so I just had to play the waiting game and hold tight. On Monday, my doctor read me the report: no abnormalities, everything looks fine.

While everyone else let out a sigh of relief, I cried. Can you believe that? Not out of happiness but simply frustration. I really don't know what I was hoping for, except for someone to tell me they know what is causing the dizziness and we must do a, b, and c to fix it. Once that's done, you're fine! But, no. No one said any such thing. We're back at square one- not experiencing the same symptoms I did last week, but it's there and it comes and goes. I feel like an idiot feeling the way I do without any diagnosis or answers. Maybe I'm just imagining all of this and making myself feel sick?

I have two more appointments next week- Monday with an ENT (vertigo can also be an inner-ear thing. Remember the rolling stones?) and Wednesday I have blood work and a physical scheduled. Maybe we'll find answers then.

6 Comments:

Blogger David said...

I'm sorry you didn't get any useful information, but the kinds of things that an MRI can find tend to be pretty bad, so it's good that you don't have them.

Have you seen an ENT yet, or have you been working with neurologists exclusively?

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How frustrating! While I am glad to hear that it was not something major, at least that would have given you some answers. Hopefully they find a cause soon and the solution is easy.

You are *not* imagining this. Random and extreme vertigo can not be imagined into being (or at least, I would think not). It is also not your fault/nothing that you did for this to happen. They will, g-d willing, find out what it is soon.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I understand the frustration on not having a diagnosis -- I was there for six years. I'm positive that you will have a treatment plan far faster than that.

I LOVE MRIs, even the ones where I'm in the tube. I completely pass out within 10 minutes and have the most relaxed sleep. After my last one, which was just a small, extremity MRI for my ankle, I asked the technician if I was the only freak who found this immensely relaxing. He told me an estimated 80% of patients fall asleep; the magnet is so powerful it acts as a major vasodilator (opens blood vessels), and those make people sleepy. Talk about an expensive nap!

Sucky technician to not explain the process or warn you about the clinking.

12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you didn't find out what you have, but you still learned more than you knew before the MRI. You now know some things you don't have: no tumors and no "growths".

As you wrote in a previous post, there are still several possibilities, including a virus, or possibly benign positional vertigo. Nothing that's enticing, for sure. I'm sure you're worried about it. So are we.

Sarah already told you about taking six years to get a good diagnosis. Frankly, I never did receive a diagnosis I really believe regarding all the troubles I had in grad school ... and I haven't completely felt like myself since. Understand that our experiences are the exceptions that prove the rule. You will NOT be another. We already filled those slots ;-)

Even if you wind up getting a diagnosis by elimination, you're still closer to the answer than you were. Keep plugging away, and you and your doctor(s) will find what's going on and address it. Until then, remember we're all here with you.

MJP

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't checked your blog since before Pesach. So sorry to hear what you're going through. I hope that you soon find out what's going on and get better!
Shuli

10:22 PM  
Blogger Miss Schmetterling said...

Hang in there, E! Everything will be okay, I know it. I know it feels scary and frustrating to be sick and not know why -- but you are doing all the right things to figure out what is causing the problem. And we are all here to support you and make sure you're okay! :)

*HUG*

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>