Monday, February 13, 2006

BPPV

Or, Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo.

Apparently, it's what I got. And it's not fun.

I thought I was getting better. In fact, I had a pretty good week following last Sunday and my recovery days of Monday and Tuesday. Then, I went up Thursday night to NY to see my new nephew, Aiden Yisrael (more on him later!). In the car on Friday morning, as we were driving to Livingston, NJ, to see him, I got sick. The nausea set in so quickly and painfully, there was no way I was able to enjoy the lovely breakfast in the synagogue after the circumcision ceremony. (They had bagels, lox, cream cheese, omlets, french toast, and more!) By the time Amtrak got me back to DC Friday afternoon, I was feeling better. The weekend came and went, and I was fine. Then I get on the metro Monday morning. And the nausea came back with a vengence. By the time the blue line got to Pentagon, I couldn't take it anymore, and I had to get off to reorient myself. Thankfully I was with a friend at the time, but the dizziness returned by 11am and I had to leave work for home at 3pm.

I've heard from people who have experienced this that it can take months to fully recover and feel 100% again. I don't want months. I don't want weeks, and I certainly don't want days. I want it now. This is so disrupting to my normal routine. I can't work. It's difficult to concentrate when an episode sets in and I just lose all desire and ability to get anything done. It just puts a downer on everything and it's difficult to reset until the next day. Worst of all, I don't want to eat, because of the fear that it may just come right back up again. Yuck.

It seems like this is something I'm going to have to get used to for now. Excuse me, God, but I don't seem to remember ordering this one. Can you take it back, pretty please?

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Is it possible that the trains are making it worse? Sarah gets bad motion sickness from them (made a little bit better by sitting in the very front car, facing forward).

11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>