Thursday, February 16, 2006

Hope springs eternal

The day has finally come. Spring is finally here.

And no, my friends, it's not because the thermometer deludes us into believing that the 65 degree weather is here to stay.

But the countdown clock has finally struck zero and the catchers and the pitchers have finally arrived.

Ah, the blessed sight of men in baseball uniforms playing catch can mean only one thing: the start of the baseball season is upon us. And if you think anything else (short of falling madly in love and being swept off my feet into the world of happily-ever-after) can make me feel any more ecstatic, overjoyed, euphoric, and put me in a state of simple bliss, then you're sadly mistaken.

Pathetic, you say? I don't care. I've waited 4 long months for this day. It's finally here, and I want it all.

I want Opening Day on April 3.
I want a no-hitter.
I want a Subway Series sweep.
I want first place.
I want a pennant.
And I want a championship.

I want the 162-game package plus.

I want it all.

Hope springs eternal come February and March, and this year, I have more to expect than years past.

Ah, the blessed sight of men in baseball uniforms playing catch and swinging the bat, and the voice of Gary Cohen narrating the 7 month story in the background, as the Mets beat their division rivals and win a championship 20 years to the day since their last. It can't get any better than that.

Let's play ball!

4 Comments:

Blogger David said...


I want a no-hitter.
I want a Subway Series sweep.
I want first place.
I want a pennant.
And I want a championship.


how's it feel to want? ;)

Yeah, that's right - you have your mets... but we've got our nats, right here. ;)

7:20 PM  
Blogger elanit said...

While I applaud DC and MLB for finally bringing baseball back to the nation's capital, and while I'll root for them to be decent- you gotta admit, they just ain't that good. And the Mets are MUCH better. :)

9:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it can't be us (the Nats) winning the division, might as well be the Mets. Anything but the Braves! Frankly, the Mets have a better chance than us, seeing how we have no pitchers! (Correction, we have two good pitchers and 8 guys trying to fill 3 spots).

I didn't understand it last year about those 4 magic words. Now, I totally do!

1:24 PM  
Blogger David said...

I think you'll appreciate this cartoon

;)

11:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>