Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Update

So much to write.

First, a health update:

The ENG test showed a weakness on my vestibular nerve. Apparently there was a viral infection which caused an inflamation which then subsequently weakened the nerve which is causing these vertigo episodes. OK, I can deal with that. The good news is that the nerve is healing and has the potential to almost fully recover, but the doc said I shouldn't expect to ride the teapots in Disney with my kids. Worse things can happen I guess, but I do love roller coasters and it's a shame I probably won't test my vestibular mettle on a runaway train anytime soon.

I've also been able to pinpoint a trigger- lack of sleep. Like clockwork, if I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep, within 1 hour of waking up, I will in fact puke. Take Sunday, for example. Andrew and I were on a 7:30am flight to Detroit from BWI, so we figured we'd leave DC a little before 6am. So, I was in bed by midnight, but awoke at 5:30 Sunday morning. As we got into the car, I said to Andrew- "Just letting you know that chances are high I will puke at some point before we get to the airport. So, I'll take a bag in the car and you drive." And I said all that with a smile on my face.

Usually, when I wake up knowing I didn't get enough sleep, I feel like crap and my day is ruined. But there was no way I was going to let this ruin my mini-vacation. So, I took the bag, sat in the car, felt ok most of the ride, and by the time we pulled up to the garage near the terminal, I was ready to hurl. Good thing I didn't eat breakfast. But 2 minutes after that, I was feeling myself again.

So now, I don't set my alarm in the morning. Not because I stay up late every night, but just to let my body get the sleep it needs to function the next day. I'm not a heavy sleeper, so I will never sleep past 8am the latest. And instead of getting to work before 8:30 like I used to, I'll get here at 9. No biggy. I'd rather have a good day and work late if I have to then feel crappy and get home early.

The bottom line is I know what I need to do to keep myself feeling alright. Hopefully the nerve will heal completely and I won't have to worry about any of this anymore.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that they finally pinpointed a cause and then it is mostly curable. Also nice to hear that you have been able to pinpoint a trigger as well. It's a shame that you will probably have to be come a "bag holder" at amusement parks, at least for a little bit.

I hope that you enjoyed/are enjoying Detroit!

11:20 AM  
Blogger David said...

Glad to hear that you're feeling better, and you got a great attitude. :)

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to know the docs have a good bead on the cause. Now to alleviate the nausea ....

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stinkin Frog.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>