Thursday, September 08, 2005

The tyranny of fandom

Last night was rough for Mets fans everywhere. I won't detail the pain and the anguish this team puts me through on a yearly basis, but suffice it to say that last night was the nail in the coffin. Deep down I knew that they weren't making the playoffs this year, and it doesn't upset me much that I'll spend another October watching someone else's team celebrate- because I know that this year's Mets are not a playoff team. But why lose in such a way? I think I would rather they leave the flair of the dramatic at home and just take their beatings quietly, because this just hurts more. A good friend of mine (one who will remain nameless to protect the innocent) wrote this following last night' s game:

friend: I am currently reading a criminal law book

friend: we are studying what circumstances mitigate a case from murder to manslaughter in general, you need to have sufficient provocative conduct that inflames passions, it has to be sudden, it has to be in the heat of the moment before passions have had time to kill, and there has to be a causal connection between the provocative act, the passion, and the fatal act

friend: which begs the question

friend: if i killed braden looper, right now, would it be manslaughter or murder?
'nuf said.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon now, I would have expected better from you - you've been a fan of a team in the NL east long enough to know that the Braves don't lose between labor day and the first day of the playoffs.

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guess we'll just have to celebrate another Sox victory together!!
Love the blog!
Shuli

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was rooting for the Mets to win last night. I keep wondering which is worse, the one run loses or the blowouts like the Nats last night (12-1!!!!). And yet, there is still hope for both of our teams. One of us could win the rest of our games (we're playing each other, so no way for both to sweep the rest) and end up taking the wild card or division. The Wild card is still close enough.

11:59 AM  
Blogger David said...

I think that the Nats and the Mets provide a vital service...

;)

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>