Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Yom Huledet Sameach!

Dearest Bobosh, (the word for "grandfather" in Bucharian, the Russian dialect that my grandparents speak)

Happy birthday!

You turn 82 today. I wish I could be there to give you a giant kiss and celebrate, but alas, I'm 250 miles away. Mommy tells me that everyone came over last night to eat dinner and sing happy birthday. I'm sure you loved it. I can just imagine the happy look on your face as they sang and you tried so hard to remember the words and hum the tune. You love to sing.

Each passing year has become even more special for us, since you were diagnosed with Alzheimers eight years ago. The birthday celebrations are different, because you can't really participate anymore, but they just give us another excuse to visit and spend time with you. If only you knew how much everyone loves you. Yes, our relationship has changed, because of this stupid disease that is slowly and painstakenly taking you away from us, but the love just grows and grows. What was once a love based on respect and fear of the father of the family has turned into plain, unadulterated love and devotion. There is no denying how all of this has pulled us together.

If you could just see your family now, you would be so proud of us. We have followed in your footsteps of putting chesed (loving-kindness) in front of all else. We haven't forgotten how dedicated you were to your synagogue and community, how you always brought back from Israel a ton of pairs of tefillin for disadvantaged boys in Queens, and how your first reaction was to give, give, and give some more. You were a giant of goodness in your time.

I love you, Saba. I miss you- all of you - so much. From the bottom of my heart, I wish you the best day and may this 83rd year be one of peace for you and everyone around you.

From the bottom of my heart,

Elanit

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that this was directed at your grandfather, but I wanted to let you know that I thought your post was beautiful.

1:11 PM  
Blogger elanit said...

Thanks, Shoshana.

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me cry and ruin my make up and it's only 7:35 am...I wish Saba could read what you wrote, he would have been proud...too bad he cannot enjoy the fruits of his labor.

Love,
Imma

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love you bobosh!!!

Wayyyeeeeeeeeee

Mikey

3:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>