Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I love autumn.
And I love the cherry blossoms.

There isn't anything environmental or having to do with nature that I love more than autumn and the cherry blossoms.

The sheer and absolute beauty encapsulated by the changing colors of the leaves and the blooming of the cherry blossoms just simply can't be beat.

I mean, I love snow, flowing rivers, beaches, and mountains-- basically any picturesque nature scene. But there is nothing as accessible and as absolute and definite than autumn and cherry blossoms, at least in DC.

For as long as I can remember, the end of summer meant the leaves would inevitably change from green to yellow, orange, and red. It is the truth of autumn in these areas; you don't have to do anything, and it's there. The same with the cherry blossoms. As winter turns to spring, the cherry blossoms bloom pink and white, and the Tidal Basin transforms into an even more gorgeous landscape. Again, I have no role in this; it just happens.

So nothing thrills (and distracts) me more than an autumn drive along the George Washington Parkway. Even now, halfway thru November, you are enveloped in the rustic colors of fall and the absolute intensity of the trees against the backdrop of the Potomac River and Georgetown. I drove this the other day and was in absolute awe of the beauty surrounding me. Just a few weeks ago, we went to West Virginia for the weekend just to see the changing of the leaves, but who knew that this splendor was right here, five minutes from my home?

If you have a free moment and a car, jump in it and just drive. Drive north on the GW Parkway and pull over into one of the scenic overlooks and just take in what's around you. You won't regret it.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>