Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Invasion of the chocolate bugs

For the last few months, we would notice just one or two little bugs moseying along in our kitchen near our stovetop. We got rid of them quickly and wondered where they were coming from. We usually wouldn't leave food lying around and kept the area relatively clean. Mostly, there were some papers and a small box in the corner area of the countertop. These little buggers would show up every now and then and keep me confused.

Then last night, as I was cleaning up, I saw a few more. I was in cleaning mode, so I started to clear off the counter, and lo and behold, I lifted a piece of folded paper that had been sitting in its exact place for who-knows-how-long, and found: a partially unwrapped bar of chocolate, which I hadn't seen for quite a while.

And then it hit me: it says wonders that we've had a cleaning service clean our apartment every other week for the last few months and the folded paper and other little stuff we had sitting in that corner was never once lifted to clean underneath. What on earth am I paying them for if they are only going to clean the areas of my home that don't have any "stuff" on it?? I understand not wanting to disturb clutter on a desk, but they would always clean up our table and make neat piles of all the mail. So why not the kitchen??

Ugh.

I gotta hand it to the little buggers, though- after all this time, they didn't bother us anywhere else. All they wanted was that chocolate. But then again, would we all be happy if our world consisted of one big bar of chocolate?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

You just hit the nail on why I don't like cleaning services - the only things they clean are things which are already "clean" to begin with.

I'm overgeneralizing, of course, because having someone else clean the bathroom is a plus - but in general I don't tend to think that the services are worth it.

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And see, the mice at shul seem to *think* that they want chocolate but then actually taste the brownies and decide that they do not (or it's just bad).

Glad to hear that you found the cause of the bugs. Too bad you also found a bad side of the cleaning service.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always resisted getting a cleaning lady because I DO NOT like to ask for help. It interrupts with my self conception as someone who can handle everything. But my job has gotten so bus that the health department is about to close my apartment down, so I was going to give in and get one. Then I read your blog, and now I'm not so sure. At any rate, glad you found the source of the critters. Susan

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>