Monday, July 17, 2006

I win

Last week, I wrote about a bet that I won but never gave any details. I haven't written about it yet, because I've been debating exactly how much to write, since my blog has been getting quite amount of traffic lately, from absolute strangers to family, friends, and new family. A lot goes on behind the curtain, so to speak, that not everyone needs to know about; but, on the other hand, the purpose of this blog is to serve as a brain dump recorder, a place where I can write unhibited. It's difficult, though, when you know exactly who's reading and who's paying close attention to detail.

With that as a disclaimer, I share with you a short story.

Once upon a time, on a Friday night in the beginning of January of 2004, girl meets boy and was enamored by his smile. Boy was visiting friends but left town Sunday night. Girl got boy's email address from boy's best friend, since she decided that boys don't know how to make the first move anymore and girl knew that he was IT. Email correspondence ensues for a month and boy returns to town to visit girl. A relationship grows. All of a sudden, one night in November, boy sadly says that he can no longer see girl. Girl cries for days and days, weeks and weeks, and then goes away on vacation, promising to never think of boy again, but secretly inside hopes one day for their paths to cross again. So much so, that girl records the following lines:

If this were a script for a movie, the next thing I would write is this: after a time of seperation and time of thinking and contempation, boy calls girl to say hello. They have a congenial conversation, and boy asks girl out on a date, suggesting they start over from scratch, woo each other like they never knew each other before, and they start to discover each other again for the very first time. And they live happily ever after.

Months pass and girl has moved on. Then, on a Wednesday night in late 2005, boy reappears and tells girl that if he could, he would try it all over again, and do things differently. Girl doesn't know what to do but decides to give boy another chance. This was what she was secretly hoping for months ago, right? Slowly, the relationship grows as if it had never disappeared. Eight months later, on a Saturday night in July, boy takes girl to his favorite DC spot, the Jefferson Memorial, and asks her to marry him. Girl says yes.

And, like she wrote two years ago, they lived happily ever after.

The end.

3 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Awwwwww....

you made me get all misty :)

That's a bet which I think pretty much all of us are happy to see you win.

10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you see good things happen to good people ... they just have to wait a bit for it to work out.

i would make the frog buy you a shwarma from mome the shwarma guy to celebrate your victory.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I understand your hesitation about what to blog about. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law reads my blog. In spite of that, my friend Tina has counselled me to just let it all come out. When I do that, I get the most responses (and most intense responses) online and in private. In a time of so much dry information and guards held high, I think people respond especially well to vulnerability.

The bad news is my mother-in-law knows all about my weight, sex life, and psychiatric health.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>