Friday, July 28, 2006

Grow up

Babytalk magazine published their latest issue on the topic of breastfeeding. And what picture adorns the cover? A breast with a baby attached to it. And of course, the complaining and outrage begins.

One woman is quoted as saying, "I shredded it...A breast is a breast-- it's a sexual thing. [My 13-year old son] didn't need to see that. I don't want my son or husband to accidentally see a breast they didn't want to see."

Other women echoed the same sentiments.

My response to them: Grow up!

Because these are the same women who would argue that women are more than sexual objects, that the body is more than just a sexual object and who would be offended if any guy treated them as such. But yet, here they are perpetuating this notion that the world can't be subjected to lactating mothers feeding their babies in public, because-- horror of horrors!-- a man may see said breast and turn to mush.

And from their reactions, you would think that all over the globe, women are whipping out their breasts for all to see before actually beginning to breasfeed. In fact, all the breastfeeding women I know are actually very discreet about it, whether in private or in public. All you actually see is a baby suckling on something; but that something is not really too visible.

And you know what? If it is a bit visible, and if it does bother you so much, then turn away. Have some self control and find something else to stare at.

4 Comments:

Blogger Miss Schmetterling said...

I read about that, EZ. Seriously, some of the reactions to this magazine cover remind me of the U.S.'s puritan past, and this total sexual conservatism that frowns on anything - whether it be actually sexual or not - that may in any way evoke sex in any shape or form.

Breastfeeding is 100% natural. It is not inappropriate, and it is nothing that a 13-year-old boy should be shielded from.

3:41 PM  
Blogger David said...

Yeah, the responses to that were pretty over the top.

breastfeeding is 100% natural, and nothing to be ashamed of. Do I appreciate it when nursing mothers are discreet? absolutely.

I don't see a contradiction between those two beliefs: something can be natural and normal, and still be private. The picture in question isn't over the line, in my opinion, especially when compared to Cosmo, Maxim, or any of the other magazines out there...

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I funny thing is that the cover is really about the baby and he/she is attached to a pink/peach thing. We all know that it is a breast, but I highly doubt that the 13 year old boy is going to make that connection. Frankly, it could just as easily be a knee. The reaction to this was so over the top.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Princess: just for the record, defecating and sexual intercourse are natural but shouldn't be public. That aside, I see no problem with the breast on the cover.

I think much of people's overreactions to things like this breast or Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" comes from a discomfort with the multi-functional human body. A breast is both nourishment and a source for giving and receiving sexual pleasure. A vagina is for giving birth and for giving and receiving sexual pleasure. I think people have trouble resolving that; at least I have a hard time viewing a vagina as sexual after a baby comes out of it, so maybe this is my stuff and I'm projecting.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>