Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Snow babies

Ari stole my thunder, but I'll echo his sentiments anyways. Never before have I ever lived in a city which was afraid of a few snowflakes as Washington, DC, is.

I lived most of my life in New York. I even spent 12 months in Syracuse, from July 2002 - June 2003, where total snowfall for the year was 153 inches. It was the first year of Syracuse's three-peat as Golden Snowball Award champion. The University never had a snow day. Not once. Not when it snowed 15 inches overnight. Not when it snowed 3 inches. NEVER.

We had snow days in NY. There were years when we had quite a few. But never when 2 inches covered the ground.

Yesterday, I had to decide whether or not to cancel Adult Education classes at Kesher. My inclination was not to cancel, but one look at the WTOP website and I saw that every single educational institution was shutting down for the day by 5pm. WTF?? Yes, it's snowing. But has anyone checked the temperatures outside? It was hovering around 38 degrees all day before the snow started to come down. Anyone could figure out that the snow wouldn't stick. Even the National Weather Service downgraded their predictions from 3-5 inches to just 1 inch of wet snow. But yet, I had to cancel anyways.

What babies.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was shocked that you guys decided to close. I do think that this area freaks out too quickly with the falling of a few flakes, and I grew up here! I only remember once having a problem with them opening school and then having to send us back home within 2 hours because the snow was coming down really hard. Mostly it was 2 hours late to allow the plows to get through the streets.

1:38 PM  
Blogger David said...

The schools in Montgomery County close for heavy rain, so there's precedent for ridiculous closures...

4:59 PM  
Blogger David said...

Here's someone who agrees...

11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>