Friday, August 05, 2005

Carpet Baggers

Yesterday I learned from Ari that Henry Bonilla, Republican representative from Texas, introduced a bill on July 28 to rename 16th Street, NW, "Ronald Reagan Boulevard."

I won't even get into my thoughts on the matter- the quotes below sum it up quite nicely.

Rep. Tom Davis, Republican from Virginia, who is the chairman of the committee that oversees DC affairs (DC = child, Congress = parent, apparently), has promised to kill the measure.

"I think the proposal is ridiculous. We'll put it in the appropriate file."

"We've named the Ronald Reagan airport, we have the Ronald Reagan building downtown, but I think if Mr. Bonilla wants to name anything else, he ought to look to his own district in San Antonio."

DC Mayor Anthony Williams said that Bonilla should fine "suitable sites" in Texas if he feels that more streets should be named after Reagan.

Very nice. Very nice indeed. I'll bet Mr. Bonilla didn't even think about how much money the renaming would actually cost (approximately $1 million) the district, let alone how ridiculous it would be to rename 16th Street as a boulevard. I'll bet he has no clue that Pierre L'Enfant, who designed DC, had a system for naming the streets here: boulevards generally have medians, moron, and 16th Street doesn't.

It's about f'ing time Congress leave DC alone and let the City Council and mayor take care of things themselves. You know, the representatives I, a resident of the District, actually VOTED for.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, as a Republican and Federalist, couldn't agree more. This is unwanted congressional meddling in our affairs. Bleah.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>