Sunday, September 06, 2009

Paris: Day 3- a Tale of Opposites

Friday brought us to the Musee d'Orsay. In general, art just doesn't do it for me. I can appreciate a drawing or painting only up to a point. Sitting and staring at it for 15 minutes won't make it any better or worse for me, I just move on. I guess I do art like I shop: I scan and scan very well and fast. Once I see it, I either like it or I don't like it, and most of the time, I don't need to try it on, because my eye can tell me quite quickly whether it's for me or not.

In any case, the Orsay is another one of those "must sees" in Paris, but thankfully, is quite different from the Louvre. I quickly fell in love with the place. The museum is housed in an old train station and the architecture is amazing. It is home to arguably the best collection of impressionist masterpieces and even though the museum was quite busy, I enjoyed myself immensely. I think it was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had in an art museum. It's definitely one I would visit again.

After the Orsay, we walked across the Siene to the East Bank over one of its many bridges. As we descended to the path that runs under the highway, we were approached by a man with a gold ring. I immediately recognized the scene straight out of the introduction to the Paris book we had brought with us-- it's one of the very familiar ways that tourists get scammed. Basically a guy has a ring, asks if you lost it, then offers to sell it to you for a very cheap price. I chuckled and just walked away from the man.

The walk across the Seine to the 1 Metro line took us through a bunch of gardens. Paris has many gardens and the best part is that there are random chairs located throughout. So you can eat lunch, read a book, relax, take a nap, do whatever you want, and still be comfortable.

We took the 1 line to the Jewish Quarter in the Marais for lunch. By the time we got out of the metro, it was drizzling. By the time we got down the street, it was full on pouring. Lucky for us American tourists, we had ponchos. Yes, bright yellow and orange ponchos. While everyone else either had an umbrella or got soaked, we wore ponchos. Wearing these bright yellow and orange ponchos, we fit. right. in. But at least we didn't get wet...

The rain stopped for a bit and after lunch, we walked to the Centre Pompidou- a huge building that sticks out like a sore thumb and house modern art. The building is huge but most of the art is spread out on the top two floors. Let's not mince words- this was is no Orsay. The first floor we visited was dedicated to an exhibit on modern feminist art, which seemed more like a real bad attempt at a political statement instead of a bad attempt at art. There was some ok stuff on the next floor but all in all, the visit kinda sucked.

After the Pompidou, we slowly made our way back to the hotel, to relax and get ready for Shabbat. Of course, that involved falling asleep for an hour or so. Our dinner reservations were for 8pm, so we had time to spare.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>