Monday, July 14, 2008

I stabbed myself...and other interesting tidbits from my weekend in the mountains

Yup, you read that right. I stabbed my left hand on Friday, while we were getting ready for what should have been a beautiful 20-mile bike ride along the quaint little roads of Lee and Lenox, MA, in the heart of the Berkshire Mountains. Instead, Andrew drove like a maniac to the hospital and we spent the morning in the ER.

3 hours, 4 stitches, and a pack of Vicodin later, we took in the sculptures of Daniel Chester French instead, which was actually quite nice. But you really don't realize what you need both hands for until you can't use one, and then you feel kinda helpless. Have you ever tried putting on a seatbelt with your right hand instead of using your left? How about typing? Carrying groceries? Opening up a bottle or turning a faucet? Cutting your food? Yup, Andrew had to cut my food for me Friday night; kinda felt like a baby.

Thankfully, 3 days later, I have most motion back in my fingers though the tip of my middle finger gets numb every now and then. It's really a weird feeling to get pins and needles just at the tip of your finger and not the whole hand. Doc says it may take a while for the feeling to return.

A few random other tidbits:
  • When renting cars, don't pay extra for a hybrid car, because they'll just assign it to you anyways. We got to drive a Prius all weekend. It. was. cool.
  • If you bought take-out Chinese and drove 2.5 hours to your destination and forgot that the food was still in the car because you couldn't smell it, chances are the food has no taste.
  • Corollary to the above point: kosher Chinese in MD ain't that bad compared.
  • Even in Western Massachusetts, just miles from the NY border, they love their Red Sox.
  • Supermarkets in Western Massachusetts, even though no Jews live there year-round, have more kosher food than supermarkets in DC, where Jews live year-round.
  • Never use a sharp knife to try to separate food items that are frozen together. Chances are, you will hurt yourself.
  • Massachusetts has more Priuses (Pri-ii? Pri-a??) on the road then the entire MD-DC-VA area.
  • Still can't my rings off my finger. And my finger tip is still numb.
  • Did I mention that hybrid cars are cool?

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! As a member of the "frequent hand injury" club, I sympathize - I hope you feel better soon. I'm glad that Andrew was there to take you to the ER - let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

The idea that kosher Chinese food in MD is better than the kosher Chinese elsewhere is frightening.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ouch! I hope you heal up very soon.

As for the Kosher Chinese comment from the gentleman above, she didn't mention where in MD she got the food. Could ahve been Baltimore.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Site Counter



<< List
Jewish Bloggers
Join >>